WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 105, November 1959, was published around September 3, 1959. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 10¢. The editor was Jack Schiff, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye.
– The 13 page Superman / Batman story was titled THE ALIEN SUPERMAN, written by Bill Finger and pencilled by Curt Swan. According to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics, Charles Paris was the inker, but the Grand Comic Book Database lists Sheldon Moldoff as the inker. This story has been reprinted in WORLD’S FINEST COMICS ARCHIVE vol. III and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD’S FINEST vol.. I.
– Tommy Tomorrow starred in the 6 page story titled THE RECKLESS ROOKIE, written by Otto Binder and drawn by Jim Mooney.
– Green Arrow and Speedy starred in the 6 page story titled THE MIGHTY MR. MINIATURE, written by Ed Herron and drawn by Lee Elias. This story has been reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: GREEN ARROW vol. I.
Also highlighted in this episode are the ads and other features of this issue.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED NOVEMBER 1959 PART II: SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 13!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOK COVER DATED OCTOBER 1962 PART I: SUPERMAN 156!
In 3 Weeks: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOK COVER DATED OCTOBER 1962 PART II: ACTION COMICS 293!
|Left to right: Nick Cardy, George Pérez and Dan Jurgens at the Teen Titans panel. Nick Cardy and Renee Witterstraetter at the Artist At War panel.|
On Sunday, November 3, 2013, legendary comic book artist Nick Cardy passed away at the age of 93. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Cardy at the 2013 MegaCon in Orlando, Florida. I attended his two panels, which I recorded and posted as EPISODE 218 PART IV: TITANS FOREVER! PANEL! and EPISODE 218 PART VIII: NICK CARDY: THE ARTIST AT WAR PANEL! I posted clips from his second panel, where Mr. Cardy discussed how he got started in the comic book industry with moderator and editor Renee Witterstaetter, at the beginning of this episode. Copies of his book, NICK CARDY: THE ARTIST AT WAR were still available at the time of this recording.
Adam Dechanel, writer for the Superman Homepage, is the writer and co-producer of THE JUNGLE BOOK, a theatrical adaption of the classic Rudyard Kipling story, at a London Theater this holiday season. For more information, go to http://www.thejunglebook.eu/.
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!