ACTION COMICS 286, March 1962, was published around January 30, 1962. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 12¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Sheldon Moldoff. According to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics, this issue had a circulation of 485,000 copies.
– The fourteen page Superman story was titled, THE JURY OF SUPER-ENEMIES, written by Robert Bernstein, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein. This story has been reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. III.
– Supergirl starred in the 12 page story, THE DEATH OF LUTHOR, written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by Jim Mooney. This was Siegel’s 64th silver age Superman Family story, and his 103rd overall for the era. Previously, he wrote two stories for ADVENTURE COMICS 293, February 1962, published around December 28, 1961: THE LEGION OF SUPER TRAITORS, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein, and THE GOOD DEEDS OF BIZARRO LEX LUTHOR, drawn by John Forte. Siegel also wrote one story for SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 59, March 1962. published around January 2, 1962: STRANDED IN EVOLUTION VALLEY, also drawn by John Forte.
Also highlighted in this episode are the ads and other features in this issue, including the METROPOLIS MAILBAG letter page.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 28 titles carried the March or March/April 1962 cover date, according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics.
Next Episode: METROPOLIS HERE WE COME! where I preview the 35th SUPERMAN CELEBRATION which will occur from June 6 – 9, 2013, and my family and I will attend for the first time.
After the SUPERMAN CELEBRATION EPISODES, we will return to our coverage of the silver age adventures of Superman with: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED APRIL 1959: SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 8 & SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 36!
The following week: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED APRIL 1962: SUPERMAN 152 & ACTION COMICS 287!
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to email@example.com.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! – https://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!