SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 45, November 1963, was published on September 26, 1963 (the day before my third birthday). It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 12¢. The editor was Mort Weisinger, and the cover was drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger, featuring the issue’s first, of three, eight page stories. (I mistakenly said during the recording that he also drew all three stories in this issue.)
– THE SUPERMAN – LOIS HIT RECORD, writer unknown, according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics, while the Grand Comic Book Database credits Jerry Siegel as the writer. Since there is some disagreement about the writer credit, we won’t credit this story toward his silver age production. The penciller was Curt Swan and the inker was George Klein. This story was also reprinted in SUPERMAN FAMILY 170 (which, beginning with issue 164, continued the numbering of Jimmy Olsen’s title), April/May 1975, published on January 16, 1975. It contained 64 pages for the cover price of 50¢.
– THE GIRL WITH THE GOLDEN ARM, drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger.
– DEAR DR. CUPID, writer unknown according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics, while the Grand Comic Book Database credits Jerry Siegel as the writer. Since there is some disagreement on the writer credit, we won’t count this story toward his silver age production.
Also highlighted in this episode are the issue’s ads and other features, including the LETTERS TO LOIS column.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED DECEMBER 1963: PART I: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 73 & PART II: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 138!
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST Group or Page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast. You can also keep track of the podcast on Tumblr, Medium, Flipboard, the Internet Archive and Stitcher.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK!
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!
And don’t forget to take care of each other out there!