Superman Annual #7!
SUPERMAN ANNUAL 7, Summer 1963 (released with the DC Comics titles carrying the July 1963 cover date), was published on June 13, 1963. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 25¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein. The theme of this annual was to commemorate Superman’s Silver Anniversary, 1938 – 1963, through eight stories from the 1950’s through the early 1960’s.
– THE STORY OF SUPERMAN JR. (12 pgs.), written by Jerry Coleman, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye. This story was originally published in ACTION COMICS 232, September 1957, published around July 30, 1957.
– THE SUPER-SWORD (8 pgs.), was written by Jerry Coleman and drawn by Al Plastino. This story was originally published in SUPERMAN 124, September 1958, published on July 24, 1958. It was originally covered in Episode 172, for the week of March 30, 2011.
– SUPERMAN’S MYSTERY POWER (8 pgs.), was written by Jerry Coleman, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye. This story was originally published in SUPERMAN 125, November 1958, published around September 9, 1958. It was originally covered in Episode 176 for the week of April 27, 2011.
– SUPERMAN IN THE WHITE HOUSE (8 pgs.), was drawn by Al Plastino. The writer was unknown. This story was originally published in SUPERMAN 122, July 1958, published around May 6, 1958. It was originally covered in Episode 162, for the week of January 19, 2011.
– THE SUPER-GORILLA FROM KRYPTON (12 pgs.), was written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye. It was originally published in ACTION COMICS 238, March 1958, released around January 30, 1958. This story was also reprinted in SUPER-HEROES BATTLE SUPER-GORILLAS (1976).
– THE PUNISHMENT OF SUPERBOY (8 pgs.), was written by Otto Binder and drawn by Joe Sikela. This story was originally published in SUPERBOY 75, September 1959, released on July 2, 1959.
– THE ORIGIN OF THE SUPERMAN – BATMAN TEAM (13 pgs.), was written by Jerry Coleman and drawn by George Papp. This story was originally published in ADVENTURE COMICS 275, August 1960, released on June 30, 1960.
– SUPERMAN’S SECRET SWEETHEART (8 pgs.), was drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger. Only the Grand Comic Book Database lists a possible writer, “Bill Finger?”. This story was originally published in SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 2, May/June 1958, released around March 13, 1958. It was originally covered in Episode 241, for the week of October 9, 2012.
Also highlighted in this episode are this issue’s ads and other features.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED SEPTEMBER 1960: PART I: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 47 & PART II: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 112!
Next Week: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED AUGUST 1963: PART I: SUPERMAN 163 & PART II: ACTION COMICS 303!
The Superman Fan Podcast is now available on Stitcher, for your smart phone, tablet or computer.
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:45:30 — 72.4MB)
Subscribe: Android |