SUPERMAN 160, April 1963 (I misspoke during the recording and said the cover date was April 1960), was published around February 7, 1963. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 12¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger, featuring the two part story which began the issue. Both stories in this issue have been reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. IV.
– WHEN SUPERMAN LOST HIS POWERS was written by Leo Dorfman and drawn by Al Plastino.
– Part I: THE MORTAL SUPERMAN (8 pgs.)
– Part II: THE CAGE OF DOOM (8 pgs.)
– THE SUPER – COP OF METROPOLIS (9 pgs.), was written by Curt Swan, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein. This story was Siegel’s 44th silver age superman story, and his 135th overall for the era.
Between SUPERMAN issues 157 – 160, he wrote 10 stories:
– SUN BOY’S LOST POWERS, published in ADVENTURE COMICS 302, November 1962, published on September 27, 1962 and drawn by John Forte.
Siegel wrote two stories for SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 65, December 1962, both drawn by the art team of penciller Curt Swan and inker George Klein:
– THE ALIEN JIMMY OLSEN FAN CLUB
– THE HUMAN PORCUPINE
– THE FANTASTIC SPY for ADVENTURE COMICS 303, December 1962, drawn by John Forte.
Jerry Siegel wrote two stories for SUPERBOY 102, January 1963:
– THE AMAZING TOTS OF SMALLVILLE, drawn by Al Plastino.
– THE SECRET OF KRYPTON’S SCARLET JUNGLE, drawn by George Papp.
Siegel wrote all three stories for ADVENTURE COMICS 304, January 1963:
– THE WAR BETWEEN SUPERMAN AND SUPERBOY, drawn by George papp.
John Forte drew the other two stories in this issue:
– THE STOLEN SUPER POWERS
– THE SECRET OF THE MYSTERY LEGIONNAIRE.
– SUPER LUCY LANE for SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 67, March 1963, drawn by John Forte.
Also highlighted in this episode are this issue’s ads and other features, including the METROPOLIS MAILBAG letter column.
Next Episode; SUPERMAN COMIC BOOK COVER DATED APRIL 1963 PART II: ACTION COMICS 299!
After that episode I will feature the Superman Family comic books cover dated June 1960, Part I: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 45, and Part II: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 110!
Then we will return to the Superman comic books cover dated May 1963, Part I: SUPERMAN 160, and Part II: ACTION COMICS 300!
The Superman Fan Podcast is now available on Stitcher, for your smart phone, tablet or computer.
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:20:05 — 55.0MB)
Subscribe: iTunes | Android |