SUPERMAN 144, April 1961, was published on February 7, 1961. it contained 32 pages, still for the cover price of 10¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye, who were also the art team for the first story in this issue. All 3 stories were written by Jerry Siegel, his 25th – 27th silver age Superman stories, and have been reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. II.
– THE SUPER WEAPON, 9 pgs.
– SUPERBOY’S FIRST PUBLIC APPEARANCE, 9 pgs. (AN UNTOLD TALE OF SUPERMAN, the 11th in this series.), drawn by Al Plastino. This story was also reprinted in SUPERMAN FROM THE THIRTIES TO THE SEVENTIES.
– THE ORPHANS OF SPACE, 8 pgs., also drawn by Al Plastino, was also reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. I.
ACTION COMICS 275, April 1961, was published on February 28, 1961. It contained 32 pages still for the cover price of a dime. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye.
– The 13 page Superman story, THE MENACE OF RED-GREEN KRYPTONITE, was written by Jerry Coleman and drawn by Wayne Boring, and was reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. II.
– The 13 page Supergirl story, MA AN PA KENT ADOPT SUPERGIRL, was written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by Jim Mooney. This was Siegel’s 36th Superman Family story, and his 63rd overall for the silver age. It was reprinted in SUPERGIRL ARCHIVES vol. II and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. I.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 30 titles carried the April or April/May 1961 cover date.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED MAY 1958: SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 2 & WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 94!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED MAY 1961: SUPERMAN 145 & ACTION COMICS 276!
Check out SLIPSTREAM, the weekly web comic book I’m drawing and lettering, which is written by Jeffrey Taylor, co-host of the FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS PODCAST and contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE. New pages of SLIPSTREAM can be found each
Wednesday at http://www.clockworkcomics.co.uk. Adam Dechanel, another contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE, also writes and draws E. O. S. for Clockwork Comics, and new pages are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Clockwork Comics is the home website for amazing web comics and e-books!
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to email@example.com.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! – http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!