Superman #139 & Action Comics #267!
SUPERMAN 139, August 1960, was published around June 16, 1960. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. The editor was Mort Weisinger, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein. All three stories in this issue were reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. II.
– THE NEW LIFE OF SUPER-MERMAN (9 pgs.), written by Jerry Siegel, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye.This story was Jerry Siegel’s 17th silver age Superman story, and the 34th overall in this era.
– THE JOLLY JAILHOUSE (8 pgs.), written by Jerry Coleman and drawn by Al Plastino.
– THE UNTOLD STORY OF RED KRYPTONITE (9 pgs.), written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by John Forte. This story was also reprinted in SUPERMAN FROM THE THIRTIES TO THE SEVENTIES and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. I.
ACTION COMICS 267, August 1960, was published on June 30, 1960. It contained 32 pages of the cover price of 10¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye.
– HERCULES IN THE 20TH CENTURY was the 13 page Superman story, written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye. This story was reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. II.
– THE THREE SUPER-HEROES was the 13 page Supergirl story, written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by Jim Mooney. It was reprinted in LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES ARCHIVE vol. I, SUPERGIRL ARCHIVES vol. I, SHOWCASE PRESENTS: LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES vol. I and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. I. This was Jerry Siegel’s 36th silver age story overall. His 35th story was MR. & MRS. CLARK (SUPERMAN) KENT in SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 19, August 1960, drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 32 titles carried the August or August/September 1960 cover date.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED JULY/AUGUST 1957: SHOWCASE 9 (featuring SUPERMAN’S GIRLFRIEND LOIS LANE) and WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 89!
In two weeks: SUPERMAN ANNUAL 1!
Check out SLIPSTREAM, the weekly web comic book I’m drawing and lettering, which is written by Jeffrey Taylor, co-host of the FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS PODCAST and contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE. New pages of SLIPSTREAM can be found each Saturday at http://www.clockworkcomics.co.uk. Adam Dechanel, another contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE, also writes and draws E. O. S. for Clockwork Comics, and new pages are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to email@example.com.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! – http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:42:36 — 70.5MB)
Subscribe: iTunes | Android |